- University professor at Utrecht University and crown representative on the National Economic Development Council
- Director of the Social and Cultural Planning Office of the Netherlands (1998-2013)
- Professor of Clinical Psychology, Utrecht University
- Guest professor Columbia University, New York
- Read sociology at Utrecht and Bielefeld (D)
Paul is also:
- Supervisory Director of ING Nederland
- Chair of the Health Insurers' Innovation Fund
- Treasurer to the Board of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
- Chair of the Supervisory Board of the Netherlands Open Air Museum, Arnhem
- Chair of Platform Onderwijs 2032
- Chair of the Euthanasia Review Committee
Nice to know
- In 2010, Paul was awarded a medal of honour by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Science.
- In 2012, De Volkskrant listed Paul amongst the ten most influential people in the Netherlands.
- Paul is a Knight in the Order of the Netherlands Lion and an honorary member of the Dutch Sociological Society.